Berhampore Girls’ College Praktani started its journey from 19th March 2005. Former students, teachers and non-teaching staff of the college who have studied or worked for at least two years can become a part of the Association. Presently, 314 members are enrolled in this registered association, out of which 291 are Life members and 23 are Ordinary members.
One of the primary objectives of Praktani is to maintain a regular contact with present and former students, teachers and non-teaching staff of the college and to contribute to an all round development of the college with respect to extending monetary help to destitute but meritorious students, ailing individuals, campus beautification and other welfare activities.
As per the Registration of Societies Act an Annual General Meeting of Praktani is held within May every year. The Association organizes a Reunion in the college premises on 26th January every year and publishes the magazine “Praktani” annually which portrays the literary and creative excellence of its contributors and is highly acclaimed by academicians, literary critics, and readers of Berhampore and the rest of West Bengal. With regard to the 65 glorious years of its journey, Berhampore Girls’ College has many ex-students, teachers and non-teaching faculty members who are settled abroad and all around the country. In this respect, Praktani is aimed at providing an interface between its members and to ensure their connection with the college.
At present Praktani is engaged in accomplishing following activities:
1. Release of grant with regard to helping one destitute and sick student of the college every year.
2. Release of grant with regard to purchase of books for two destitute but meritorious students of the college every year.
3. Release of grant with regard to the rehabilitation of people affected by natural calamity.
4. Providing financial assistance towards the infrastructural development of the college as and when possible.
5. Providing financial assistance of Rupees 1800/- to one ailing ex-student every year from the Subarna Smriti Fund.
6. To award the highest scorer in Sanskrit honours with the former student Madhabi Ghosh sponsored Preeti Gupta Memorial Fund.
7. Organising seminars on relevant issues.
8. Organising cultural programmes.
Membership Structure and Fees:
There are two kinds of membership: a) Ordinary member and b) Life member.
1. For becoming an Ordinary member one can enrol with Rupees 20/- and annually Rupees 50/-.
2. For becoming a Life member one has to enrol with Rupees 20/- and Rupees 500/- for Life membership.